Saturday, January 17, 2009

A fun project

I had a chance this week to meet up with one of my best friends from high school. She has lived in Africa for the past year helping spread AIDS awareness among the children over there. It was so wonderful to see her and hear her stories. Hubby had intended on going with me but things didn't work out that way. I would love for Hubby to have met her, but I will admit, I was selfishly a little glad to get some one on one time with her.

She moved to another state this week for some additional schooling before going back to Africa again. We will be able to chat from time to time and I am certain she will visit her friends and family here on occasion while at school, but I will still miss her. She is a great person with so much courage to do what she is doing.


I worked feverishly the night before our meeting to make something special for her. I thought I would share him with all of you today. I think he is adorable and he fit perfectly into her travelling lifestyle. I am going to add him to my etsy shop as well so feel free to order one of your very own! (If you're wondering, the eyes are made with knotted yarn so they are baby safe.)




We discussed PCOS a bit and I was sad to hear she too had been struggling with similar problems. She is unmarried, so her options and tests were a bit different especially in Africa, but she has been battling large ovarian cysts for a while now. Bcps made her very sick and she couldn't continue to take them, but is looking for a GYN in NC that can help her come up with a treatment plan. If you know of a good PCOS friendly doctor in NC, please email me that info so that I can pass it on to her.


* Also as a side note, if you didn't notice, I have been doing a bit of housecleaning. I hate, hate, hate, to put in some of the new additions, but I feel like it is necessary right now for Hubby and I. They have cut him down once again at work and when the schedule came out today for next week, Hubby had no hours at all. We know it is temporary, but unfortunately, that doesn't help us much right now. I hope you'll understand.


I'm going to be adding a few things to Etsy in the next couple of weeks too. Please stop by often and check out the new stuff!
Now, go back to class and see what the other kids are showing this week!
Show and Tell

8 comments:

Megan said...

very cute!!!

Susan said...

I'm jealous you can whip something up like that....very talented!

Beautiful Mess said...

That's is such a cute little guy! Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy your day,
-D

AnotherDreamer said...

Such a cute traveling gnome!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Cute gnome!

FattyPants said...

lovely gnome. Thanks for sharing

..al said...

Totally cute...and your friend is wonderful for working on such a cause!

alicia said...

he is sooo cute! I am glad you got to spend some time with this friend, she sounds so special!