Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Candy Shop and a kid..Show and Tell

Today my dad's mother came to visit. It was the first time she had ever been to our house. We usually go to her or she goes to my parents' house and we visit there. This time Mom and Dad were out of town and our main goal was to go yarn shopping! Now, if you have been reading here very long, you will totally get what a major and super exciting day it was for me today! Not only did I get to hang out with my grandmother, but I got to buy yarn! Lots of yarn! And to top it all off, my grandmother and I share a passion for yarn, so for once, I had someone that I could browse and linger in every color style and texture with! It was awesome!

My grandmother was hilarious. She had only intended to buy a few baby dolls or bears to fit in her little bassinet purses that she crochets for her church's Christmas shoeboxes. In the end, she almost spent as much as I did, unable to pass up some embroidery patterns and yarn. She has never been to a craft store like that and her eyes sparkled with bliss as she walked past aisle after aisle of goodies and "candy." I am glad that it runs in the family somewhere and that I am not alone when my eyes glaze over and a goofy grin crosses my face.

I think for me, yarn is almost as much fun as making something. It is all about possibility and excitement over how it will turn out. You start with a few pieces and a lot of love. With patience and care, hopefully something wonderful begins to reveal itself right before your eyes. I love it!

I can't wait to settle down with a hook, some yarn, and the pups for company, in front of the television as I start a new creation! You should check out the shop and keep an eye out in the near future for some new things! Just follow the link at the top left side in purple ( I know. Shameful plug, but I gotta get it in there when I can)!

Here's a pic of my treasures for the day. I have already settled on a pattern and I am ready to start!





10 comments:

Kristin said...

Ooooh...pretty. I love going crafty shopping. One day soon I will have to take a picture of all my yarn or maybe all my fabric or maybe all my cross stitch goodies.

AnotherDreamer said...

That's a lot of yarn... Pretty :)

battynurse said...

Lots of yarn. I feel a lot like you do except it's for papers and little decorative bits etc for card making and scrapbooking. Oh and fabric. I'm trying to teach myself quilting.

admin said...

Oooooo. I am a total yarn junkie too. Thse are gorgeous! Right now I am in the process of trying to use up what I have... so no trips to the yarn shop for me. Lucky dog.

Rachel said...

That all looks so soft and yummy! I just learned how to knit this past year, but so far, all I make are squares. But I still keep buying more and more yarn... just because I like the yarn. :)
~ Rachel

Sam said...

woah! That's a lot of wool! But I know exactly what you mean, I can almost never leave a craft shop without something in my hands!!

And how lovely it is to have someone with you that shares you love of this and gets just as giddy as you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of pretty yarn! I'm a knitter of about 5 years now and I still consider myself a "novice." My favorite part of yarn shopping is feeling all the different yarns. And I have to know exactly what I'm making before I go into one, otherwise I will spend money like no tomorrow!! Here from Show & Tell.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I love the yarn store. Just seeing all of the colours and touching everything :-)

JuliaS said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh - I haven't set foot in a yarn shop for months! Trying to start/finish other projects before getting excited about new ones.

Would love to see what you work it into. :0) (Would also love to come and pet the yarn!!)

alicia said...

ohh look at all those fun colors!!!